Arnold Schwarzenegger Shows His Gym & Fridge | Gym & Fridge | Men's Health
(knocking) – [Host] Hey Arnie, we're hereto see your gym and fridge.
(knocking) (rock music) – What do you want? (rock music) – [Host] All right Arnold, we're here to see your fridge, you ready? Let's do it.
– What is it exactly that you want to see in the fridge? You just want to see the food? Or do you want to bust me because I'm not 100% vegan? (siren wails) What is it that you're up to? Follow me.
So anyway, this is therefrigerator in my office.
We have here fruits, we have vegetables, we have one of my favoritethings that when it gets hot, I have watermelons, cut-up watermelons.
We have, of course, theRadler, which is a German drink a combination of lemonade and beer.
I love it.
(laughs) Most people don't know this, but this is my secret protein drink.
I'm telling you one, okay.
This is between us.
Okay, so here we go with the protein.
You wanted to see how our protein is made? It's nothing special about it.
I just put in a littlebit of this almond milk, not much, just a little bit.
And those are for muscle soreness and sometimes bone soreness.
Put a little bit of that in there.
Then you go and you put the banana in.
(upbeat music) I don't do it always with the clean hands where I touch every dumbell and barbell and machine that otherpeople have already touched.
This is just to getthe immune system going and to really always, you have to fight back.
Now there's an egg, a rawegg that you put in there.
Well actually, I liketo put in the whole egg.
(blender spinning) Now, this drink, literallyyou could serve at any bar.
Health bar or any other bar.
I sometimes put in there Schnapps, I sometimes put in there Tequila, so it just gives a little extra flavor.
– [Host] What does yourdiet look like these days? – Well, I am as you cansee, I'm health conscious.
I was not always health conscious because when I was young, you know you get away with a lot of things, a little bit from that.
Now I eat more, you know, like oatmeal, and greens, andvegetables, and healthy foods.
Stay away more from the meatsand more from animal products, and animal proteins, becausethere was this misconception that's the only way you getbig and strong, so now I backed off that and, um, I feel much better after eating more greens.
– [Host] Do you cook at all? – Yeah, of course.
My favorite thing to cook is a steak.
A lot of times mybodybuilding friends come over to my kitchen or comeover here to this office and they will of courseeat the delicious food because they all want to look like me.
It's never gonna happen.
(laughs) I love that.
Anyway, – [Host] What kind of snacks do you eat? Ya know, during the day I willmake a little protein drink of course, because I think it is just the best, ya know, if youhave a lot of proteins.
I mix it with, uh, some of themilk here, and sometimes, uh, juices, and then sometimesI have energy drinks also so it really depends whatkind of a mood that I am in and if I'm tired or not, because our energy drink is really great when you're tired.
– [Host] Do you drink cow's milk? – I would say that I hate cow's milk.
I drink almond milk.
It is much better.
– [Host] What other foods do you hate? – Um, I don't reallyhate much of anything.
I just stay away from itbecause of health reasons, but I mean I always wascalled the garbage disposal, because I was never sickand tired of anything.
I mean anything.
As a matter of fact Iwould go to restaurants and I would say to “peoplemake me an omelet”, and they say “what do you want in the omelet?” and I said, “anythingthat's in the kitchen sink “or anything that you canfind on the kitchen floor.
“Just scrape it up and put itin there and I would love it”, and that's exactly what they did.
– [Host] Have you ever tried a fad diet like Keto or intermittent fasting? – When I started film, I didn't have time for fad diets or anything like that.
I have to go and go on a realserious kind of a regimen.
I work out harder, I do morecardiovascular training, and I watch much more what I eat, so I cut out just simplyall the sugar products, and I cut out all the white bread.
– [Host] Do you take any supplements? – Yeah I take supplements, I take multivitamins, and I take, uh, you know, uh, everything that the body needs, but like I said they're called supplements tosupplement of what you eat, so the key thing is notto rely on the supplements as much as you rely on good food.
Natural food, a lot ofgreens, a lot of fruits, and a lot of really good proteins.
– [Host] Does Arnoldever have a cheat day? – Cheat days come up quite frequently.
I just remember that even three days before the Mr.
Olympia competition in 1970 after training we wouldgo to the House of Pies.
The key thing is alwaysto remember that for every calorie you take in, you have to burn it off.
No one else is gonna do it for you.
You've got to do it.
(upbeat music) – [Host] How often do you work out? – Um, I workout everyday.
I workout in the morningfrom around 7:00 to 7:45 and then I try to bicycle every morning for around 45 minutes, and then many times I go back at night, and I workout at home in my home gym.
– [Host] What do youconsider an intense workout? – What I am doing right now is not what I consider an intense workout.
This is kind of a lightMickey Mouse workout because we are doingthe filming right now so I just go through themotions, but I'm not really training that heavy anymorebecause, uh, after my heart surgery I was advisednot to train heavy and not to do anymore going for threereps and heaviest weight and all this stuff, so I do more kind of lighter weights and more reps.
– [Host] Do you still chase the pump? – The pump is alwaysout there and you always have to chase after it, yes.
– [Host] What's the bestthing you've learned throughout your career? – When you become a worldchampion in bodybuilding, and you um, reach your goal like I did after winning 13 worldchampionship titles.
Seven of them is Mr.
Olympia, five of them is Mr.
International, and all ofthose kind of competitions.
Then it is important toinspire others, because I recognize that I didnot go the way I am today.
I did not reach this pointin bodybuilding, or in anything else, withoutinspiration of so many people.
If it is in bodybuilding, Reg Park or Steve Reeves, ya know and in publicservice, Ronald Regan or Mother Teresa, MohammadAli, who was one of the most generous and most giving persons that inspired me to givesomething back to the community.
There's all these peopleinspiring so to me it's important to hang on that walland to have other people look up there and say “Lookwhat this guy has accomplished.
“He came over here fromAustria with absolutely nothing “and, uh, he became the worldchampion in bodybuilding, “and he became thehighest paid movie actor, “and the leading man, andthen he got into politics.
“Look at what he's accomplished “because of hard work andbecause of a lot of help.
” And so I am, I want to be aninspiration to so many others.
– [Host] All right, now it's time for our Rapid Fire questions.
workout or 7:00 p.
workout? – 7:00 a.
usually – [Host] Squat or deadlift? – When you say squat ordeadlift it's the same thing as saying drinking or eating.
I mean I think you need both, right? It's a difficult, it's a crazy question.
You should try and work at the whole body minimum of three times a week.
– [Host] Crossfit, yay or nay? – I think it's good done the right way.
– [Host] Dumbbells or kettle bells? – It makes no differencebecause the muscle doesn't see what you areholding in your hands.
– [Host] Run on a treadmillor in the great outdoors? – Both.
– [Host] Biggest compliment -jacked, ripped, swole, or cut? – Cut.
– [Host] If you could workoutwith anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would it be? – I would like to workoutwith Eugen Sandow, because he was one of my idols.
He was the first bodybuilderthat also was a Strong Man.
I think that, uh, he'sa remarkable human being and a remarkable athlete and Strong Man.
– [Host] You know a lot ofcelebrities on Gym and Fridge say you're their ultimate workout partner.
What do you say to that? – I'm here in Gold's Gym every morning.
If you want to workout come on down and well have a good time.
All right, listen guys, I gotta get back to my workout, okay? The time for fooling aroundis over, so, over there is the exit, and don'tsay “I'll be back” okay? (upbeat music).